Monday 25 January 2016

22 Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam Bros - Battle Cards, Facing Wendy & Roy

Dear Readers,

Today I'll talk about a new game mechanic introduced to us by the next character we meet. I'll also talk about the boss fight with Wendy and Roy.

In the next cell, a Paper Goomba spots us and calls for our attention. He says he's the Paper Goomba we stomped twice back in Sunbeam Plains! After failing so much, he got demoted to being a janitor and accidentally locked himself in the cell while mopping. Mario just says "Let's a go!" and our group decides to move on and ignore him. "Wait!" he says, and pleads to know how we got free. He wants to be his own Goomba and stop working for Bowser. Man, I'd love to introduce this guy to TheLonelyGoomba on YouTube! They could become good friends! Speaking of him, I wonder if he'll do anything inspired by this game? I'm a big fan of his! :) Anyway, we continue to ignore him and walk off. Once again, he calls out for us and says he'll give us something good in return if we help him get out of here. He gives us a battle card set. Is this some Amiibo thing? Paper Mario shows him how to get out by turning sideways, which impresses him a lot! He soon does the same thing and comes out of the cell. Just then, more Hammer Bros. show up!

The Paper Goomba takes this opportunity to show us how to use the battle cards. Oh boy, here's another dimension to the gameplay! It's well worth taking the time to read about it here. Now I know what those green counters are for in item shops! They'll all be open now after this I suppose. Pretty nice of him to show us how these work. After his tutorial, he says he might see us later and then runs off to find a way out of the dungeon himself. On checking the guide, I see there are new challenges all centred around these cards! They really are encouraging participation! I like the badges from the last game though, so I'll give these cards a chance.

So moving on, we see the next jailtoad trying to use a crack in the wall to escape. He can't fit through and he won't move! That means we'll have to come back later when we've rescued them I suppose? There's a Paper Mario block back there so I better keep this in mind for later!

I spend the next few battles getting used to this card system. Seems a bit like busywork right now but it's a nice extra all the same.

Mario levels up to Boomerang Rank! For this I give him an extra gear slot. I can use extra stuff like gloves and badges now. Not sure what to do with them yet, but I earn another pair of Trusty Boots, so I give them to Mario.

We eventually get to a warp pipe but then, Roy Koopa and Wendy O. Koopa show up! Not an easy boss battle, and we die quite a few times! The cards do help quite a bit alright though with little things. Wendy's rings and Roy's massive wand beam thing are both tough to avoid! I have no idea how to avoid Wendy's shell attack either. I manage the battle quite clumsily but I manage to beat them both. I get the Filler Wear from Wendy and the Fighter Hammer from Roy.

I also level Luigi and Paper Mario to Boomerang Rank! I give Luigi the extra gear slot and for Paper Mario I increase the Star Point Max by 10. Might come in handy with this new card system we're using.

Roy and Wendy turn around and leave in a huff. It's a good thing Larry wasn't with them this time! Just when we're about to leave, a stampede of Toads run past us and escape! I guess we can go back to that guy's cell from before and get the item without him in the way! It turns out to be 3 1-ups. At least it wasn't far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment