Friday 8 January 2016

7 Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam Bros - Trio Attack, Bowsers kidnap Peaches, First Boss, Amiibo

Dear Readers,

Today I'll talk about the Giant Paper Hammer, Bowsers kidnapping Peaches, facing Petey Piranha and the Amiibo features of the game.

Advancing forward, the Blue Toad with the delivery bag gives us a block with a big star on it. It can turn into a giant cardboard hammer during battle! The Paper Toads we just rescued made it and gave it to us as a present. Let's see what it can do...

We get attacked by a big group of Goombas. Starlow comes out and tells us about this new thing called a Trio Attack, where we attack using all three characters. This first one turns all the bad guys into paper with the giant hammer and pins them on the wall. Then all three of us take turns hitting a black ball with a star on it against them with rackets. The excellent hit breaks the wall completely. The 3D depth feature is kinda neat here but not essential.

In preview videos, this seemed a bit contrived after the enemies got walloped with a giant hammer, but it's actually quite fun.

More expert challenges to do! I'm addled in deciding which ones to go for. I'm trying to get the Biddybud Dodge one but they're too easy to defeat now!

Up ahead, some of the trees and hills are made of paper. Then we see a big cardboard wall with Bowser's face on it. What we can do here is dash into the orange spring and launch ourselves through it. On crossing the bridge, a light purple Toad comes a-running after us and tells us that the two Bowsers invaded Peach's Castle!

The story then goes to the Castle, where it plays out. "I guess it's that point in the story..." Peach says. "Ugh, not again" replies Paper Peach. The two Bowsers come along in their clown copters and are tricked by two fake cardboard Peaches. They then corner the real ones and it fades out. Pretty humorous scene! The banter between the Bowsers is great!

Back to us, we see the two Bowsers fly by with the two Peaches. They then fly away and send the first boss, Petey Piranha Lv 4, after us.

The boss music has a fast emergent beat. There's some cathedral organ music playing too to show how dramatic and serious it all is.

We can knock him on his back and jump on his belly to make him spew water and coins. He then gets angry and chases after us. We can use Paper Mario's paper aeroplane glide to avoid his paintball attacks here. After a while he falls on his tummy and Paper Mario can land on his head. We earn a Stache Bean here.

We beat him and earn the Sandwich Boots. That's not all though. There are ? Cards left here too. The light purple Toad runs up to us and explains they use Amiibo. I'm not really interested but I let him guide us anyway. When I press the Amiibo button I come across the first time there's ever a loading pause! It's surreal!

Anyway I have a look around. Of course, I'd need an NFC reader/writer since I don't own a New Nintendo 3DS. The compatible Amiibo are Toad, Bowser, Mario, Luigi, Peach and Yoshi. You can make different types of cards. There's Duo Cards, where you can combine two Amiibo of different characters to make them and then there are Sparkle Cards, where you combine two Amiibo of the SAME character to make them. So you're rewarded for owning two of the exact same Amiibo?! I guess if you have Smash Mario and Mario Party Mario Amiibos... though man, I dunno...

It's kind of overwhelming for me. I don't want to collect figurines, so I'm glad this is a non-required aspect of the game.

Finishing up, the Toad says I can exchange the cards for coins instead. I just might do that! Mario says "Oh Yeah!" with a jump and that's my reaction too!

No comments:

Post a Comment