Monday 18 July 2016

5 CASTLEVANIA: SPECTRAL INTERLUDE - DOUBLE JUMPING FOR GOODIES, THE PURPLE ALTAR

Dear Readers,

Now that I have the double jump, I can backtrack everywhere I've been and collect goodies that have been teasing me out of reach!

I headed through the forest and into the underground dungeon. It's great to be able to defeat the werewolves in one hit now! They're no longer as intimidating as they were. I got the health upgrade in the dungeon I couldn't reach before.

Then it was back out to the forest again and to climb the platforms above the snakes. On the way up the birds you have to face can be tough. If you don't shake them off in time they pick at you like the mosquitoes in Digger T. Rock. At the top of the platform there's a cyan altar piece out of reach and an entrance to an icy waterfall cave.

In the icy waterfall cave the "Heart Of Fire" theme plays, same as the dungeon beneath the forest. The ice here gives you a slight slide when you stop so that's a nice bit of detail. Underneath there's a green altar piece out of reach across some water. Above there's a white altar piece out of reach. On the next screen there's the final purple altar piece. Beyond that, a nice save point before the purple altar boss. Heart upgrade hidden in the wall to the right too!

The purple altar boss are these two dragon heads that come up out of the water to spit fire at you (icy fire maybe) and they look like Volvagia from Zelda 2. A head only comes out if you have your back to it and the splash it makes when it goes back in makes for a very nice level of detail! This took me a few tries as well but I eventually took advantage of dropping through the platform to whip them when they started shooting fire.

After defeating them I got the ability to turn water into ice. This comes in very handy for freezing waterfalls and other water hazards! In the next room there's a yellow altar piece out of reach and a health upgrade.

Joseph told me I could access Dracula's castle now though he still isn't there himself.

On the way back I froze the waterfall and collected the green altar piece. It's pretty cool freezing waterfalls and then being able to climb them! There's a whip upgrade here too hidden in the left wall.

On the way back to town I was delighted to be able to freeze the water hazards and not be afraid of having enough room to deal with the were wolves! I like this extra bit of confidence!

The confidence continues with being able to freeze the water hazard in town so I can just casually walk right through the lower path without any trouble. Ahh!

I headed back to the cemetery and beyond where I met Joseph to freeze the water and obtain more items: a health upgrade, the second green altar piece and a heart upgrade hidden in the left wall. The yellow altar piece was across some spikes and unreachable right now.

Then I crossed the Mermen's area again to the waterfall cave with the bats. It feels so good to be able to freeze the waterfalls here. I wish the freeze powers could work in the Mermen's area too!

In the waterfall cave I froze the waterfall I could then climb to get the third green altar piece. Then I backtracked to town.

At this point I also had the full map, which revealed secret rooms in the cemetery and the entrance to the waterfall cave.

After upgrading and more weapon purchases and preparations, I headed across the water at the edge of the forest towards Dracula's castle.

There's a nice view of the countryside with the trees and mountains in the background while crossing the water, and that partial blue and magenta sky is really pretty too.

The final green altar piece is on the other side along the path to Dracula's castle.

No comments:

Post a Comment