Tuesday 16 August 2016

1 A LEGACY FOR ALARIC - SNOWY LAND EXPLORATION

ZX Spectrum Vega game #0013

Dear Readers,

Today I'll talk about this adventure game, which starts abruptly with the chief of the Adventurer's Guild giving me a job. I was expecting a title screen or something first!

The opening also says to avoid white rabbits at all costs... is that a reference to Monty Python And The Holy Grail?

Then the game introduced itself in the next scrolled paragraph. It was written by Palmer Eldritch for Zenobi Software in 1989.

I started my adventure after a very long journey in a horse drawn cart and found myself in a snow stricken countryside at the end of it. I like this set up :)

I tried to read my mission but didn't figure out how, so I just followed the road until I came to the Adventurer's Inn. It was locked so I knocked on the door and it was answered by Big Brian. He asked for my membership card. I couldn't show him anything and couldn't for the life of me figure out how to take anything out of my bag. He was very patient to stand there waiting but I just decided to walk away and do more exploring.

I took a path down to the lake and off to the wooden jetty, where I met a very fierce looking warrior. He blocked the path and I couldn't speak to him about anything, so I just turned back.

I went to visit the farm where Old Farmer MacDonald lives. When I couldn't speak to him, I took another path, which led up the mountain to a dark tower.

On the way up, the game nicely describes the view of every other place I visited so far. Unfortunately, when I reached the tower there was a locked door. I headed back down and learned that I couldn't enter the inn unless I had the card, which I wouldn't get until I completed the mission. I went back to the warrior and the help told me to examine him and all it told me was that he had long hair. I had no idea what to do next so I decided to stop here.

My final score was 0 out of 150. I quite liked the idea of exploring this snowy land but I couldn't figure out how to interact with the other people or do anything with items. Maybe another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment