Thursday 27 April 2017

1 columns iii: revenge of columns - learning to play the competitive scenario

Dear Readers,

Puyo Puyo Tetris is out soon! I've been playing some of SEGA's other block matching games like this. This installment of Columns has some of its own special things to offer!

This one has a scenario and opponents to face, just like Super Columns on the Game Gear. You face talking creatures you meet in a pyramid while looking for treasure before facing them in a Columns battle.

I faced a spider in the practice mode to start with. It promptly beat me in a match when my floor pushed up too far towards the ceiling. I then sussed that I could press the C button to make the floors move after clearing gems and getting the number over 10. I could then beat the spider by doing this! It feels kinda weird to have a gameplay mechanic like this but I guess it works!

I played through some more opponents, like a sleepy bat and a skeleton and that was the practice mode. The bat was kinda cool because its movements were kind of swoopy, just like a bat flying around! Not sure if that was intentional, but if it was then hey, that's clever!

I hear Puyo Puyo Tetris will have an adventure mode like this with some fun cutscenes. Looking forward to it :)

I also went back to Super Columns to try and see if I could get any further than the first guy with the techniques I had learned. Nope! That game still has its own rules!

No comments:

Post a Comment