Friday 28 April 2017

1 tetris - sega mega drive version

Dear Readers,

With SEGA coming out with a new Tetris crossover game, I thought I'd try out the old Mega Drive version!


The Mega Drive version is said to have never had a proper release, so I decided to play it on my SEGA ATGames portable. It seems like a perfect candidate for that SD card slot.

And wow this version of the game is pretty difficult. Maybe I'm out of practice with Tetris, but moving the tetriminoes feels very awkward and heavy. I may just be spoiled with modern Tetris rules. Sometimes certain tetriminoes aren't given for ages and it's led me to suspect there may be some kind of anti-piracy measure in place! I doubt it though.

The C button does an automatic soft drop in this game.

The backgrounds change as levels increase and are quite nice pieces of landscape style art.

The music is the same as the one from Columns on Master System in Flash mode. This track will appear in Puyo Puyo Tetris as well! Woo!

There are flashing tetriminoes that give you an item when you clear lines with them. I don't know what determines which item you get. I also notice that some of these tetriminoes continue to flash when placed and then they disappear after a while. I have no idea why this only happens sometimes either! I'll have to look up instructions for it.

There's the normal game, time trial and 2 player modes including doubles. Time trial makes for nice bite sized sessions and the co-operative doubles mode sounds very interesting, though I can't do that particular mode on the handheld!

No comments:

Post a Comment