Wednesday 7 September 2016

1 ALBATROSSITY - SUPERB CRAZY GOLFING!

ZX Spectrum Vega game #0027

Dear Readers,

Today I'll talk about this brilliant 2D single screen, side view, crazy golfing game by Jonathan Cauldwell and music by Matthew Westcott from 2008. There's a url for cronosoft.co.uk here too.

Wow the music! The title screen welcomes you with this lovely bouncy music that's somewhat similar to the Vega menu but becomes its own lovely thing when you keep listening to it after a while. The font reminds me of the title font for The Goodies which is lovely too.

I have no idea what the toilet in this game is for...

I've played a few sessions of this and I looked up a map on World Of Spectrum. 38 levels or holes so that's a nice amount of content!

Hole 01 has some basic obstacles like walls and grassy platforms you can shoot up through. The music is a nice happy jaunty tune, the kind of music a first level should have!

The score card (or game over) screen has a slow sentimental tune. I got this screen fairly soon and still get it very often!

Hole 02 has a magenta water hazard with a fast ripply surface. It really goes with the tune, which is quick paced and jazzy and gives you the feeling... or at least gives me the feeling that I'm making some kind of progress and I'm looking forward to seeing what challenges are coming up.

Hole 03 has a nice echoey tune, like I'm continuing my round of golf through a dark cave. The obstacles coming out of the ground... they're the stalagmites, according to my imagination :)

Hole 04 repeats the first hole's music and I think the music loops from here on out. I'm not sure. Anyway this level introduces cyan barriers that can be sliced through with the steel ball. The steel ball's pretty good when you don't want too much bounce too. For this session I used the sticky ball to stick to the wall so that it wouldn't bounce back down. Very cool the way it sticks to walls and ceilings and it comes in very handy!

Hole 05 plays the fast paced jazzy tune and has a lovely blue background to mix things up. I thought at first there were pitfalls but no, there's no danger here. The jazzy tune feels good here because so much progress has already been made and it makes me feel good and like I'm kicking butt... and here's more butt to kick.

Hole 06 plays the echoey cave like tune and it's back to the black background. Another cyan barrier and water hazard here too. In this session I played, I was down to my very last ball, a rubber one. I didn't think I was gonna make it so I went for broke at full power and... WOO! I got it in and went to the next hole!

Hole 07 plays the jaunty tune. It played at the first hole and it feels appropriate here. This stage is all snowy and icy and the music makes it feel like a new beginning or a new season, or in video game terms, like you're going on to the next world. There's a nice snowman here and white and cyan stalactites as hazards.  Not even the steel ball can withstand them.

This was as far as I got. Hole 06 with 45 shots was my score on the card. There's a nifty sounding hole edit feature available but I didn't try that.

No comments:

Post a Comment