Monday 19 April 2021

1 the starship damrey - introduction and finding my way in the dark

Dear Readers,

The Starhship Damrey is part of the Guild series by Level 5 and it is the one that was the most interesting to me. When this game was introduced they said that in this game you wake up on a spaceship and try to figure out what's going on with little or no instruction. You have to find out everything on your own. I thought that was a pretty cool way to advertise a game!

Like the other Guild games, there were big names behind this one. They were Kazuya Asano and Takemaru Abiko.

I've never really heard of these guys, so I looked them up. Kazuya Asano's life work includes Chunsoft, presumably visual novels or Japanese style adventure games and Takemaru Abiko is an author of several books. I don't know any of their other works so I'm hoping this will be a nice introduction to their works and see what their pedigree is like.

I checked out the trailer that advertised this game back in the day and they were both in the video talking about how they wanted to make a game that had an old school feel where you had to figure everything out and you could get stuck easily. They recommended using one's instincts and keeping a notebook! Well, I'm gonna blog so hopefully that'll do!

The instruction manual even says that there aren't any detailed explanations as figuring it out was part of the game experience. Nice little thing to check out.

The 3DS menu icon for this game is a robot and the upper screen title has an oval shaped image of a galaxy behind it. There's a voice that says "Welcome Mr. Guest" which I assume is the ship's computer.

The title screen itself is nice and minimal, with white text on black background. The introduction says "This game contains no tutorials or explanations. Part of the experience is to discover things yourself."

Hopefully I can make some bit of progress at least. It also says "The audio is an integral part of game progression. Please keep the volume on." so yes! Headphones on and no noise! I'll try to play in a quiet room. Maybe it'll be better to play at night? I'll see...

The game starts with some sirens, red flashing light, some computer error messages and a voice that says I may be suffering some amnesia due to the cold sleep. Then there's nothing except for a dim emergency light thing. I press some buttons and eventually just tap it and the light comes on, showing my lower body and I guess I'm in some kind of coffin-like chamber thing? There's a photograph of a lady with some sentimental music and some emergency instructions for a computer called Adam OS or something.

When I turn the lights back off a "Lucy My Love" message glows in the dark. I can't do anything else except tap the blue light and all of a sudden I get a command line interface and touch screen keyboard. Well, here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment