Tuesday 20 April 2021

2 the starship damrey - using the command line interface and controlling the robots

Dear Readers,

I found myself facing a command line interface and a touchscreen keyboard. It was time to take the stylus out and try a few things.

The screen said some files were damaged and needed repairing. There were a few commands and I tried them. I needed to edit the files to fix them so I chose that command. 

Then it said the arrow keys were damaged, so it told me to redefine them, starting with the letter U. I typed out UP, DOWN, LEFT and RIGHT to the corresponding arrows and the arrow pad was working again. I picked the first file and typed out START when I was prompted. I was prompted for more words, INCLUDE, FORMAT, REPAIR, and END.

That was the first file, now for the second one. I was asked to input more, and for some reason the characters disappeared when I was asked to type them in. After getting them in I got an arithmetic question for some reason. When that was done the files were repaired and I was prompted to reset so I did.

I got an OS booting screen and was then prompted to speak into the microphone. I said "Hello" instead of the onscreen text which said "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" and I was denied official crew status. It did say I could say anything I wanted though...

I was then asked to do some kind of IQ test, choosing different shape patterns to match the logic of what was going on. I passed them all.

The computer introduced itself to me, calling itself SAM, an AI concierge for support purposes. It told me what was going on, that I was in a Cold Sleep and had amnesia and asked me to remain calm. It said I was logged in as a guest due to voice print identification failure. This meant I couldn't use voice commands and was recommended to use the D-Pad or the ABXY buttons.

SAM told me not to panic and recommended I rest in the capsule until I was fully recovered. It then explained the ROBOT, COMMUNICATION and DATABASE options. I couldn't use communication so I checked out the database.

There was a LOG, which seemed to track my progress; a ROBOT MANUAL, which had some guidelines for using the robot; and SPACE LEECH, which had a record of 00/20.

I picked ROBOT and had 2 options for robots out of 8, the other 6 being unavailable. The robots named AR-1, which had a defective camera and AR-7, which was obstructed from moving. I picked AR-1 again and got an option to use a surveillance camera so I took it.

The camera showed a room with two robots. I was able to move AR-1 by messing around with buttons. I used it to drive into the other robot, which was AR-7, and this loosened it up enough to enable it to move again! Yay!

This took a couple of goes, but I got AR-7 loose, at the cost of AR-1, which I couldn't use anymore. I was able to use AR-7 now, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment