Friday 5 February 2016

1 Gradius (NES) - Button Holding Strategy, First Level

Dear Readers,

I am obsessed with Konami's Gradius! I beat the NES version before, but used a joystick with a turbo fire option on the Wii U Virtual Console. I often get the urge to play the Virtual Console version on 3DS, but there's no turbo fire option and I hate pressing buttons rapidly! I'm trying to come up with a button holding strategy. You keep firing shots when you hold the button, but they don't come out as quickly.

I've come up with a strategy for the first level at least. I got somewhat used to whatever enemy patterns are happening, so I don't bother with any speed ups. Speaking of power ups, I've resolved to learn them off by heart and count in my head to what power up is highlighted, so I don't have to look at the bottom of the screen and away from the action.

SPEED UP
MISSILE
DOUBLE
LASER
OPTION
SHIELD

This I'm trying to keep in my head for this game! I like to start off with a shield, then the two options, then laser. If I die somewhere along the way, I still prioritise the shield.

At the moment, I think the best spot to deal with the volcanoes at the end is to the bottom right of the screen and just hang out there with a shield and maybe some options. That way, I don't crash into any mountains when the screen starts scrolling again.

No comments:

Post a Comment