Tuesday 9 February 2016

30 Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam Bros - Sandmaargh Dodge Challenge, Revisiting Doop Doop Dunes

Dear Readers,

Today I'll talk about revisiting other places I've been and about the painful experience of trying to pass the Sandmaargh Dodge challenge!

I head to Toad Village in Sunbeam Plains. They have some new dialogue. The Toad at the entrance wishes this village sold battle cards. The Toad in front of the Lakitu Info Centre is writing a rhyme about all three of us! The Toad in front of the gear shop wonders if a Paper Toad would become a regular Toad if you gave him an endless supply of cake. The Toad in front of the pen contemplates the outside world and how there's so much to explore.

After this, we head to Doop Doop Dunes to see if there's anything we missed. I find a Guard Wear but I don't give it to anyone. We can one-shot the spinies here and that feels really good :) They gave us a bit of trouble on our first time here!

It's kind of strange but I'm finding more ? blocks here, as if we overlooked them. Maybe it's because there are papercraft platforms here that weren't here before?

We make our way to the point where we got knocked out and captured before. The cannon ball is still here, half-buried in the sand and the bridge to Bowser's Castle is broken.

The Toad Village in this region doesn't have any new dialogue. The quiet Toad at the battle card shop is willing to sell cards this time though.

I'm spending a good bit of time trying to pass the Sandmaargh dodge challenge. At one point, I make one of them drop Stache Gloves. I give them to Mario.

Anyway, I've sussed one of its patterns: I jump just before its shadow goes near one of us. Very tricky to get the timing right though. I much prefer when he inhales and tries to eat us. It's easier to do the dodge then.

It's also annoying when he has a Paper Bob-omb cohort, because they end the battle with their explosions before we have the chance to dodge anything.

The best way to get them on their own is to redo the "Desert Rescue Party" mission at the Lakitu Info Centre. I try it a few times. When I pass the challenge and quit the mission, I painfully discover that I have to finish the mission on top of that, or else it reverts to before I started. Gah!

Failing to pass the challenge time and time again, the game asks if I feel like taking a quick break, so I do! Gladly!

After my break, I do the "Quicksand Rescue" mission, simply because it's fun. Need to unwind with something!

Then I manage to complete the challenge and the rest of the "Desert Rescue Party" mission again. Whew! Finally! I'm glad I have that done!

The only one left for now is the Paper Hammer Bros. dodge challenge. Not sure when I'll do that. I'll make some story progress next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment