Tuesday 11 May 2021

1 xeodrifter - cute little 3ds metroidvania

Dear Readers,

Now to finally start playing Xeodrifter! It's by Renegade Kid, particularly Jools Watsham. Things have changed since 2014 and he went on to form Atooi, where he still brings games like this to us. He was also behind Mutant Mudds and he supported the Nintendo 3DS like no one else did. He used to post QR codes you could scan with your 3DS that would link to special images that displayed in 3D with the .mpo format. No one else ever did this.

I've played a chunk of this and it's a lovely little Metroidvania. It's just like if you can imagine Mutant Mudds in the Metroidvania style.

The 3D visuals are brilliant as well and it's a joy to play at a desk or an armchair when you have a comfortable moment.

The electronic instruction manual is tiny with a total of 3 pages, with little else but an explanation of the controls. The 3DS menu icon is the little red main character and the visual is the character rotating around with the logo of the game, in a nice solid pixel style.

I start the game as the little red shooter guy on my spaceship when I get hit by space debris and it damages my warp travel mechanism. This leaves me stranded in a system with four planets. My ship detects some energy thingy that'll help me so I have to go to each planet and seek out whatever these 7 dots are across the whole lot of them.

I decided to go to the green planet first. It feels very nice and Metroid-like, right down to the enemies that move back and forth. The ones that help you replenish energy are a nice tribute and are much easier to deal with than in Metroid.

I explore for a bit and come across my first boss, a big purple alien dino thing. I died a couple of times but its pattern was very sussable and I was able to defeat it for the submarine.

No comments:

Post a Comment