Monday 15 November 2021

58 steamworld dig 2 - the extra challenging trials

Dear Readers,

I went to that place unlocked in the sky above the Windy Plains and took on the Trials.

There are several scenarios here and they come in randomised order. I know this because I took them on and died a number of times!

There was this wall jumping one call Trial of Skillness that nearly made me give up entirely. There was a part where I just couldn't reach with wall jumps. I looked it up on YouTube and it turns out you have a better wall jump if you don't slide along the wall. Just jump as soon as you hit the wall and you have a better jump. I absolutely had to look that up because I was getting tired of it very fast.

Trial of Flight. This was about avoiding the fire spitting thingies. It was quite fun dodging around and trying to gain momentum to progress. The tribute to Bowser from Mario 1 at the end of this was really nice too!

Trial of Buttons. This was a fun reference to Portal with the scary Vectron DOS prompt thingy drawing the ASCII cake reward.

Trial of Acoknights. A tough lava conveyor belt one. The Return to Sender mod is handy here instead of having to jump over the flaming spears.

Trial of Escape. A nasty Vectron sequence with lots of those evil exploding ghosts and metallic chasers. Very hard to outrun.

Trial of Rockets. Constant Rosie Rockets coming at me and I have to deflect them into boulders to open the way forward. Tough and very messy. Takes a lot of patience and health.

Trial of Crushers. The one that's mainly made up of those fist blocks and has a bit with a trick out that loops you if you go up the outside of the fists. Not too bad if you can get a groove going.

With the levels shuffling around every time I die, I got to experience all the trials in some form and I am now able to pass each one, though not all in one go. At the moment, the Escape and the Rockets are the toughest ones because I lose the most life on them. The Acoknights one is another where things are a bit rough for me.

If I could just get lucky enough to pass the harder ones earlier without too much damage I'll be flying. I just need some more practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment