Sunday 5 June 2016

1 13 MINUTES OF LIGHT - LOVE LETTERS ACROSS THE SOLAR SYSTEM

Dear Readers,

Today I'll talk about this short visual novel by Jod. It's set in the future where my girlfriend gets a university job on Mars. The cheapest way to communicate with her is by old fashioned letter writing, and when the war breaks out, it's the only way to stay in contact with her.

I like the way this visual novel gives me a sense of the universe in which it takes place. The Reddit pages was a brilliant idea and is my favourite example of this immersion. Imagine Reddit lasting that far into the future too? Food for thought!

I got the "Home Sweet Home" ending. Thankfully, the war on Mars ends and my girlfriend comes home. I got this way by not carrying out any actions that are jealousy oriented and by constantly telling her I miss her and want her to come home.

Plenty of sad things happen during her Martian stay. The job offer turned out to be a dud, which is a very common thing nowadays. I also hear about the things she's seen over there and when she got injured during a peace rally.

The love between her and me keeps going through our correspondence with all the mushy pet names and other moments like her talking about Martian lingerie.

So... aahhh I like this ending a lot. I don't know if I want to play for the other endings though! I don't want these two characters to end up unhappy after so much hope. It reminds me of that anime Voices Of A Distant Star. Also, when they say stuff about life being strange at the beginning, are they making references to the recent and popular Life Is Strange? It's likely, but I haven't played Life Is Strange so I'm not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment