Wednesday 29 March 2017

1 pac-mania - why i love this 765 game

Dear Readers,

Pac-Mania is probably my most favourite Pac-Man game ever! I don't have 765 reasons off the top of my head explaining why, so I'll just talk about a few reasons.

Firstly, the number 765 is goroawase for "Namco". When you chain together a bunch of blue ghosts, the scoring climbs until it caps out at 7,650 points. For added fun you could call out "NAMCO!" every time you score that much from a ghost :)

I started playing this game on the Mega Drive. I love the arcade version too but this console version has bolder colours and a wider view going for it. I love the Pac Booster speed up option too!

At first, I found this game horrifying because you can only see a part of the maze and the ghosts can surprise you. That was until I learned that you can JUMP over the ghosts! Then it became one of my favourites.

An alert appears onscreen too when a fruit or special item appears. Together with the jump, that pretty much solves every major issue I have with the zoomed in view.

I also love that there are four different areas and they all have their own soundtracks. Pac-Man's Park is my favourite and it's the one that was played in the trailer when Pac-Man joined the roster for Super Smash Bros.

I usually get a game over in Sandbox Land or on Jungly Steps, but it's a great feeling to beat them all and loop back to Block Town!

In a recent session I got a game over at Sandbox Land. I restarted and chose the area instead. You get a courage bonus when you do this on finishing the first round of the chosen area. It's usually more lucrative with regards to points unless you're a pro, but I miss the fun of the early areas! I nearly always start from the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment