Friday 1 March 2019

1 galaxian - almost 10,000 points on atari 2600 version

Dear Readers,

You can't spend all your time in Possum Springs you know! Sometimes you're on a bus that's stuck in a traffic jam for half an hour. Perfect time to play some Atari portable games!

I know the Nintendo Switch is portable, but I prefer playing that in tabletop mode in a quiet room. Plus, the Atari Flashback Portable is much more compact!

The Atari 2600 version of Galaxian is really good. It's a nicely paced, exciting and pleasant experience. Normally Space Invaders would be the go-to game on this console and I did play a bit of that, but today I enjoyed Galaxian a lot more. I do like the chunky targets in Space Invaders, but that game has a slow sense of dread, which wasn't something I was looking for at that point. Plus the bullets weren't the easiest to see on the screen, not in this low horizon sunlight anyway.

In Galaxian the targets are much smaller alright, but I can see the bullets clearly, movement is more agile and swift and I can keep playing on one session for a decent amount of time. A typical Space Invaders session for me is much shorter and when I played that during this session I didn't even get to clear a screen.

So there I was, having fun zapping and dodging the swooping baddies in Galaxian. I played it on default settings and I got a game over around the 9,600 point mark. I'm not sure what the exact number was but it was just shy of 10,000 points. Nice round number to aim for next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment