Friday 20 August 2021

1 steamworld dig - dropping in on uncle joe

Dear Readers,

I'm delighted to start playing this game! It's one of the most celebrated on the 3DS and it's known for featuring a blend between mining simulation and action when dealing with bad guys and stuff. It's made by Image & Form and is part of the SteamWorld fictional universe they created. Let's jump in.

The title screen has this gorgeous western desert parallax scrolling thing going on and it looks really intense with the 3D effect. It looks good though, all those layers of cacti...

In the credits this game is copyright 2013 so it's taken me quite a while to get around to it! Everyone I know just gushes about this game and it's time I got into it now.

I am Rusty the robot! Wandering through the desert on the title screen, I arrive at a town called Tumbleton, where I immediately feel the ground crack underneath me and I plunge down into a mine, a quarter of my health gone from the get go. All I have is my digging tools and my cowboy hat. My guess was this was part of my uncle's mine and so I decided to explore it before the rest of my light went out.

A girl robot came up to me asking what I was doing falling in like this. Her name was Dorothy. She knew my Uncle Joe and said he'd been gone a while and she'd been sneaking down here to mine what little she could. I recognise her from the cover of SteamWorld Dig 2, but that'll be later on...

Dorothy said she found him, my Uncle Joe and said she was sorry. She pointed out where to go and I hopped across some gaps, collecting light before I found his remains. He was holding his pickaxe and looked just like a skeleton, or as much as a robot can look like a skeleton anyway.

What a way to begin. I said I was sorry I didn't make it before he left us. I didn't understand why he left me the claim as I wasn't a miner at all. I asked to borrow his pickaxe and burrowed my way out back to Dorothy, who said the lever for the exit door was buried. I had to dig all the way down to get it and open the way back out. She left through the door and I climbed back up, where there was a ladder that took me back to the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment