Sunday 2 February 2020

104 undertale - sans' judgement

Dear Readers,

This next area was The Last Corridor. There were lots of columns here with light coming in through stained glass windows. It was dead silent here, apart from someone familiar...

The silhouette of Sans appeared ahead in the path. It was exactly like the time I left Toriel's house where I met him for the first time and now I meet him here after leaving Asgore's house.

He said I finally made it and the end of my journey was at hand. He didn't speak in Comic Sans here and his text didn't make the deep hehe sound while he spoke. He said in a few moments, I would meet the king. He said together, we would determine the future of this world.

He said that was then. However, now, I was going to be judged. He said I was going to be judged for my every action, for every EXP I had earned.

He revealed to me that EXP was an acronym that stood for "execution points." it was a way of quantifying the pain I had inflicted on others. When I kill someone, my EXP increases. When I had enough EXP, my LOVE increases.

He revealed that LOVE, too, was an acronym that stood for "Level of Violence." it was a way of measuring someone's capacity to hurt. He said the more I kill, the easier it becomes to distance myself. He said the more I distance myself, the less I will hurt. The more easily I can bring myself to hurt others.

His face appeared in the text box and he had his eyes closed. Some kind of humming, chanting, vibrant music played.

He opened his eyes and said I never gained any LOVE. Of course, that didn't mean I was completely innocent or naive. It was just that I kept a certain tenderness in my heart. No matter the struggles or hardships I faced, I strived to do the right thing. He said I refused to hurt anyone. Even when I ran away, I did it with a smile. He said I never gained LOVE, but I gained love. He asked if that made sense.

He then said I was about to face the greatest challenge of my entire journey. My actions here would determine the fate of the entire world. He said if I refuse to fight, Asgore will take my soul and destroy humanity. But, if I kill Asgore and go home, monsters will remain trapped underground. He asked me what will I do?

He said if he was me, he'd have thrown in the towel by now, but I didn't get this far by giving up, did I? He said I had something called "determination." He said that so as long as I held on, so as long as I did what was in my heart, he believed I could do the right thing. He said they were all counting on me! He wished me luck, with a wink!

The view then shifted back to me and he disappeared behind one of the columns as it scrolled past him.

I continued to the end of the corridor and through to the next area.

This was like confession in a church! Very cool and dramatic scene :) it's also a lot like that path in Metal Gear Solid 3, where The Sorrow shows you everyone you killed.

No comments:

Post a Comment