Tuesday 17 October 2017

1 berzerk - gaming in the aftermath of ophelia

Dear Readers,

Hurricane Ophelia weakened but it left me without electricity and internet for a couple of days. I spent one of the dark nights playing Berzerk for the Atari 2600 on my Atari Flashback Portable while listening to a battery powered radio.

I wasn't really in the mood for challenge. I played on the easiest setting which is setting number 12, the last one. So the robots weren't shooting and there was no Evil Otto. Most of the play area is black, static and without flashing lights, which makes playing the game on a backlit screen easier to play in the dark.

On the radio I listened to chat shows and news updates about the storm, restoration of services and affected people who were interviewed. I even explored the AM frequency and got a documentary that included a lady in Iceland who had a rare breed of goat. I could hear bleating and everything. Man, I forgot how great radio and the spoken word can be.

I caught up and checked in with family too of course! Very important thing :)

I played until I was beyond 80,000 points. I had loads of lives and the game went over for some reason or other when I went to tune in another station. I'm not sure but maybe the lives counter rolled over to a small number and I lost for some reason or other.

No comments:

Post a Comment