Sunday 19 November 2017

19 super mario odyssey - super odd ending

Dear Readers,

Chapel just ahead! The bell rang like it was the Angelus or something.

The Tip Of A White Spire

Before going into the church I explored around and found a frog! I captured it and was able to jump so high I could get on to the church roof! There was a shiny spire so I threw Cappy at it and a power moon popped out.

Up In The Rafters

Under the bell was a hole where I dropped down and onto the rafters inside. There was a power moon up here.

I burst through the church doors to find Bowser and Peach at the altar. Bowser was trying to force this gigantic ring onto Peach and she was pushing back. It looked really aggressive!

There were guests! Pauline and people from all the kingdoms I had visited so far were here. I always find it kinda weird in a game where I have to work to find power moons or whatever to reach somewhere and then some random NPCs I had met along the way just happen to show up without any bother on them.

I ran to the altar to object to the wedding but then Bowser stomped the floor and a trapdoor opened. I fell down to an arena and he soon followed. Boss time!

This was similar to other times I fought Bowser but I did lose a couple of times before getting the patterns down. I had to deal with him tail whipping while punching him and he also had this fast flame throwing attack that was difficult enough to avoid. After beating him, Peach broke free of that giant ring chain that imprisoned her.

I approached them and everything started collapsing! We all fell into the lava filled caverns of the moon. We were trapped.

I approached them again. Peach was pacing around in a panic, wondering what we could do now. Bowser was lying there in a familiar daze... The game waited for me to figure it out and capture him! I put Peach on my shoulder and we tore through the walls of the big climactic escape sequence! It also included a 2D section.

We broke through to an area with pillars and had to topple the corner ones into the centre, all while the floor and ceiling were falling away. Another song with lyrics played during this part to add to the excitement. We freed up the Spark pylon in the centre and we all escaped this way! Fun, exciting and weird to see everyone's heads there briefly before zipping away to safety!

Now for the ending scene and it was when I stopped being Mario. Cappy and Tiara reunited and danced around joyfully. Mario walked up to Peach with a serious look on his face when all of a sudden Bowser knocked him down and shoved some Piranha Plant flowers in her face. Mario freaked out and shoved a speedy flower in her face. Mario and Bowser nudged at each other and kept shoving their flowers into Peach's face until she snapped at them. She walked away, leaving them shocked. She spoke with Cappy and Tiara briefly before walking away to the Odyssey. Mario and Bowser looked really sad and dejected and Mario was comforting him! The Odyssey then started to fly away! Mario and Bowser ran up to it, Mario jumped off Bowser's face and threw Cappy into the camera, and that was it before the credits. What the heck.

That ending was weird and made no sense whatsoever. The game sets up a wedding, dresses you up as a groom and makes you get rejected and sad. The game suddenly decides to change Bowser from being a big time enemy to being a rival suitor in a dumb love triangle. The game stops me from being Mario and makes him participate in this dumb love triangle. The game stops me from being Mario and turns him into someone who's desperate to marry. Peach starts up the Odyssey like a parent starting up the car to get their child away from the playground. The happy anime music from the escape sequence plays throughout this entire scene so the whole thing looks like a fan-made Anime Music Video and made me feel like I'm too old to play video games.

To be fair, it would be much weirder if Mario and Peach got married. The whole wedding theme made it all weird. I'm gonna blame the whole thing on those special Mario wedding Amiibos.

After the credits, various things unlocked. More moons to find and I could now go to the Mushroom Kingdom. Cappy said he didn't want our adventures to end. Looking for more moons will be fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment