Tuesday 30 January 2018

86 super mario odyssey - darker side part 2 or "why the heck can't mario climb a flight of steps with a normal jump for gosh sakes"

Dear Readers,

I had another go at the Darker Side with its increased difficulty. I gotta say it's nice to be welcomed by my in-game fans, the game's theme song and even the Cascade Kingdom theme was nice to return to! I guess when you get tired of the music it's a good time to stop playing the game too for a while and come back to it.

The Sphynx was already shifted over so I didn't have to answer any riddles again to get the 6 heart! Woo!

The part where I needed to practise was at the wall shifting portion. It's hard to jump up the steps without the tiny bit of extra height in the jump from the momentum of running. I also wish I could just sit on top of the platform with the scarecrow so I can just rise to the top, but the game seems to forbid this especially as Cappy comes back when I try to climb up!

But seriously though, why the heck can't I climb up steps with a normal jump? Fancy boosting jumps are fun to do but when I have to keep doing several of them in a row it gets tiresome and it feels like work.

When I had to repeat the arduous journey back to this point it's nice to get that bit of encouragement from the Sphynx.

I eventually got past the stupid wall part where I'm too short to go up a step with a normal jump and got to Glydon, which was also horrible. I got hit by bombs I couldn't even see because his tail was in the way. I found that the only way to get across with those tornadoes was to pull back on the analogue stick when I got into them. After a few tries and having to play the level again all the way here I got through.

I had to flip across some fork-shaped people from Luncheon Kingdom in order to cross the lava pool. When I could do it, it looked good, but when I missed any of them and bounced around the lava in pain it was not so fun trying to recover.

After this I reached the most evil part yet. Infinitely spawning Koosh ball thingies and trying not to hit the chain reacting ripple lasers while attacking them. This part of the challenge is going to be for another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment