Monday 8 June 2020

1 travis strikes again: no more heroes - prepping updates and season pass, weird cutscene glitch

Dear Readers,

I decided to go for this game and try it out. I've been a fan of these games in the past and went for the physical version with the season pass included.

I know it's a spin-off but the title is a bit weird. The name of the series is now the subtitle.

The physical box art presentation is nice and so are the fonts used. The "Stranger Things" style of the main title is a bit strange but it works well too. It's got art on the reverse side as well, with Travis Touchdown and Badman with their beam katana and baseball bat locked in battle. Even the download code card looks nice enough, with Shinobu and Bad Girl on the front and release date details of the DLC on the inside. I shake my fist at the idea of course! Also, I adore the Grasshopper Manufacture logo's dot matrix look! It almost looks like it's stamped on the paper!

It had been a few days since release(sometime two years ago), so I downloaded updates and redeemed the season pass code to get ready. Didn't take long at all.

I booted up the game and waited for well over half a minute(yikes) until a screen came up with instructions for single Joy-Con use. All about attaching the strap.

Opening movie! There's a telephone conversation between what sounds like Cam Clarke and Badman. Badman seems to be in trouble and explains that he was going after Travis Touchdown for killing his daughter. Cam Clarke guy shows up in front of Badman and gives him something called a Death Ball and tells him to go kill Travis Touchdown.

Some logos show up in old green computer graphics and another movie plays, this time it's the one I remember from when the game was revealed and Travis wanted to introduce himself to a new generation of gamers. In this, Badman tracked him down to his trailer and they got in a skirmish. Some cool fourth wall breaking here. And yeah it's the exact same trailer, right down to the announcement of the Unreal Engine 4 on Travis' t-shirt.

The weirdest thing happened... I pressed the home button while the cutscenes were playing and stuff went all out of sync! :O I rebooted the game a couple of times to make sense of what was going on. I had to reboot and replay the cutscenes to make them play properly.

The title screen has Jeane the cat and a fire blazing in 60fps, which is nice :)

I started it up on "Mild", which I assume is the difficulty!

I am Travis Touchdown! The next scene showed Badman and myself being sucked up into the game console, showing its cool intro screen and current game, which was "Electric Thunder Tiger II".

I love the fourth wall stuff, where Travis wanted to reintroduce himself after all these years since No More Heroes 2 and Badman told him to stop buttering up the gamers. Pretty clever :)

I also love the "Suda 51" credit that appears in the cracked glass pattern when Badman trashes furiously with the bat.

The Unreal credit is nice and it appears to be an esteemed engine indeed, but the game takes well over half a minute to load on a pure black screen on startup, which I find concerning.

No comments:

Post a Comment