Wednesday 12 June 2019

272 night in the woods - replaying demontower to get the good ending!

Dear Readers,

Now to go back to the start of Demontower and try to get the good ending!

I'm using a different controller this time, a Hori Pokkén Tournament DX controller with USB-C adapter. I like to play the Nintendo Switch in tabletop mode.

I love how easy the first floor is. Boss doesn't even have to spawn fully and you can defeat it! It is a way of drawing you in to the game though isn't it... drawing you deeper into the Demontower...

I have to make a note of the clues this time from the shifty-eyed green guy at the start of the levels on which he appears. On level II the 1st clue was far lower left.

That jerk boss on level III with the inverted pentagram is where the game starts getting pretty challenging.

On level IV the 2nd clue was centre upper right.

The level V boss with the giant rat king was the first time on this run I died. Made minced meat of it the next attempt though :)

On level VI the 3rd clue was centre lower left. Took two attempts on the boss here as well. Much easier when I realised I could dash into the projectile fireballs to cancel them out. I remember this boss being very troublesome before!

Level VII I died twice on this time but neither time to the horrible Tron lightcycle of blood boss. Felt better equipped this time by knowing I could cancel the fireballs out.

On level VIII the 4th clue was centre lower right. This time I died 11 times on the level and 4 times during the boss fight! Whew! One of the deaths was pretty funny. I was fighting the boss and just as I was dying, the boss dashed into the blood river. On the You Died screen the boss continued taking damage until it died! I had to start the level again though of course. That blood river is handy here!

Level IX was doable enough with it being just ghosts and then it was on to level X! I got to the room with the skulls and pushed them off in the order in which I found the clues, which made a chest appear in the centre with what looked like OK written on it. I opened it and got a different coloured key from usual.

I used this key on the corpse's central wound. It sealed, which made the massive river of blood stop and dry up. It still lay dead though.

I went up to face the vampire boss and it was easier to beat this time as I didn't have to worry about it reviving with the blood river gone! I didn't fight it exactly vertical this time either so that was handy!

I got the good ending this time! I stood at the edge of a cliff and gazed at the tower, my cape blowing in the wind. My quest was over and this was awesome :)

When I logged off the computer, I made another sketch in my journal! I drew Palecat, who looked pretty awesome and heroic! I had her saying "COME AT ME YOU DEMON'S" and "I'M SO TIRED". I had some skellies in the sketch too. I wrote underneath in big letters "PALECAT".

This time I enjoyed the game a lot more... I still prefer to play as Link in Zelda games with his endless stamina but I did enjoy this too. It's just the dashing and the stamina cooldown add a lot of complication and is much more for experts. I do feel this adds a bit of busywork though and I'll always go back to the classic and swift Zelda style.

Playing with the different controller felt pretty good too but I don't have a preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment