Sunday 1 April 2018

1 lode runner legacy - a new version of one of my favourite computer games and that's no joke!

Dear Readers,

I thought I'd try out the demo for the Switch version of this game. I always loved Lode Runner and played it on the Macintosh growing up :)

It was only the adventure mode that was accessible to me in the demo version. Adventure001 was just about collecting gold, 002 was another tutorial level and 003 was about practising those upside down pyramid block digging techniques. I retried this one as I didn't get a good score and only got 1 out of 3 stars.

So yeah, it's got an interesting scoring system with a bonus timer and it's got that 3 star grade that's common with many of these kinds of games nowadays!

Adventure004 was about easing into that rule about not being able to collect gold when it's just above a hole unless you're dropping on it from above. This is a good tutorial I suppose. Had to learn it the hard way back in the day!

Adventure005 was about digging through a straight line of blocks right next to a long ladder. Another useful technique. After this, Puzzle Mode was unlocked.

Adventure006 introduced enemies after a nice little cutscene! They still have the same A.I. they always have :) this was the end of the tutorials.

Adventure007 involved an enemy and lots of digging. This took me a while but I still got three stars :)

Adventure008 had a similar thing going on but the enemy had no way of getting to me, though I needed its space at one point to access the gold.

Adventure009 was about sussing out the enemy's A.I. to run rings around it without having to entrap it or anything. I get a nice bonus for no entrapments!

Adventure010 was arranged in a stair-like pattern. I didn't have a full grasp on it but it was easy enough to suss as I collected more gold.

Got a nice "Thanks for playing!" message after this.

Here are my scores for these 10 adventure levels:

Adventure001: 38,310
Adventure002: 37,740
Adventure003: 37,080
Adventure004: 38,790
Adventure005: 41,700
Adventure006: 63,390
Adventure007: 41,020
Adventure008: 46,240
Adventure009: 57,770
Adventure010: 54,880

The later levels seem bigger so it has to be zoomed out. It goes up to 50 in this mode. I'll try the Puzzle Mode next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment