Tuesday 2 July 2019

292 night in the woods - mall memories and modern exhaustion

Dear Readers,

I said "Yeah!" to Bea when she talked about it being time to eat at the mall.

I was of course excited to be eating but Bea was less so, it being mall food court dinner.

In the blink of an eye we were back with food, or at least Bea was. I had already inhaled my dinner as Bea put it. She asked me what I got. I said "Pizzataco from Go-Fer". She said Go-Fer was some good garbage food. I agreed and said we should get one in town. She said it would be bad for her. I said it'd be worth it.

Then there was a pause. Bea's speech bubble turned into a gloomy rain cloud. I said what? and she made an ellipsis. Then I asked her out of the blue if she remembered Cathy Daminco pulling out Cindy Clark's nose ring here. She asked me if I knew what that was about and I said something about Cathy being pregnant with some football guy. She said his name was Ron Boonstra and didn't know I knew about it. I said I remembered the first football game of our senior year where Ron ran up to the sideline and yelled at the stands, dedicating his first touchdown to his beautiful firstborn and his mommy, Cathy Daminco. She said that was... something. I said Cathy was in the marching band and I think she was crying too. I went on to say that he dumped her for Cindy a week later. Bea said that was the part she knew about, the part that set off the whole nose ring situation.

Here I had three choices, each wondering about the different points in this love triangle. I said "I wonder what Cathy's up to now?" Bea said Ron had this ATV accident last year and somehow Cathy and him got to talking after that and they got married. I was just like huh.

Bea went on, saying Ron's parents set them up out in a double wide out in Briddle since Cathy refused to end up in Possum Springs. I said Briddle was like 15 minutes away.

Bea asked me if I knew what the worst part of this story was and I chose "The sordid highschool drama?" She said that at the time she was thinking how god moves things around in the strangest ways to bring two people together. I said "Hm. I guess." and she said it used to make things make more sense at least.

Bea said she was thinking about this place- the fountain and the god-walkway and stuff and how not knowing how something worked used to seem like magic. Now not knowing means it might be going wrong and she may not be able to fix it. She said it helped knowing someone was at the controls and that now, she was just tired all the time from the shop.

Poor Bea :( working to exhaustion when we're so young.

I said when I was at school... and then I stopped and said I didn't want to talk about it. She asked me what happened and I made an ellipsis and paused for a while. Then I asked if she wanted to run around the mall some more, not answering her question. She said there wasn't really much else to run around.

I suggested we check out the weird bad art upstairs as I wanted to touch it. She told me to please don't. I said I wanted to run! She told me to run while she sat there, as she was tired... and sad now. I told her to suit herself and got up.

Before I went upstairs I ran around. The only place I could go was Vibes Music. I couldn't believe this place even had the lights on anymore.

I then went upstairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment