Tuesday 21 September 2021

2 steamworld dig 2 - the temple of cultists

Dear Readers,

I am Dorothy McCrank! In the first SteamWorld Dig I ran the minerals-for-cash shop where Rusty traded in his findings. Since then, he went missing.

I wake on a cliff by my campfire at sunrise. I follow a sign that says El Machino is 1 mile ahead across the desert with lovely parallax cacti and guitar riffs. I walk along when some rumbling happens under my feet and I fall down into a mine, just like Rusty did when he arrived in Tumbleton. 

The text is very small... Maybe I'll play this in docked mode if there's gonna be a lot of it. I'm not really expecting that though.

I have to press pause to look at the map. No extra screen to look at, unfortunately :(

The map is really small too. I'll try to manage.

This area is called the Temple of Guidance and acted as the tutorial for the game. There are arrow traps that activate when you step on some buttons. That's a new thing that wasn't in the first game.

I navigated my way around until I found a big robot thing that gave me an upgrade. I was now able to dash. Nice to get an upgrade so soon!

I made my way around until I got to an area where a cultist was bowing to some kind of weird statue with a head that was glowing in a familiar way.

The music down here is pretty good. It's got a deep sounding beat.

The statue, called The Guiding Light, responded to the cultist's devotion by zapping it out of existence. The cultist was grateful until it was too late. The Guiding Light laughed. I wondered aloud what was going on and it spotted me, thinking I was another pilgrim.

It was a little boss battle. I avoided its slow moving shots and when it was recovering, I jumped on top of its glowing head and beat down on it with my pickaxe. The statue part crumbled away and eventually I destroyed the head as well.

A blue glowing flame with eyes emerged from it, complaining. I explained I wasn't a cultist. I said it looked like a Vectron sprite, wondering how it was possible since Rusty destroyed that place.

Sprite said the cult stole them and plugged them in here to be worshipped. They wanted it to zap them. They weren't able to do that anymore so they had nothing to do. I told them I was going to the big city as I heard that Rusty had been seen there.

Sprite agreed to go with me. They went into my furnace like Navi the fairy goes into Link. They showed a map as a little box on the side of the screen. It's not the Nintendo DS family of systems but it'll do.

No comments:

Post a Comment