Friday 15 May 2020

1 donut county - texting about honks and doughnuts

Dear Readers,

I'm gonna have to get used to spelling the word "doughnut" the way Americans spell it. Oh well... new game for me and new experience ahead :)

I bought the physical version from iam8bit and it came with these scratch and sniff stickers. They're pretty cool and one of them says "Have a Garbage Day!" although they don't really smell like doughnuts. Maybe it's because they smell like American "donuts", whatever they smell like.

The game is set in a world with warm colours and light plucky music. The first thing I see is a raccoon texting a girl. I'm the girl and I respond with a quacking sound. The raccoon's name is BK and they're complaining about being bored. I text back saying I'm dead. BK's like lol why are you dead and I said the honking man woke me up again at the HONK of dawn. BK said that's HONKing unbelievable and said not to worry as they'll revenge me.

I'm liking the way they text each other already :)

I told BK to be careful. They said to come to the doughnut shop and to stop feeding my dog bread. I said he needs bread to live and he was a certified loaf. I don't get this humour yet but I think it'll rub off on me :) it's very pleasant dialogue.

I finish texting BK and open the window.

Suddenly I have control of this hole on a patch of grass with the words "DONUT COUNTY" and what I assume is the HONKing man on a motorcycle with a cargo of doughnuts, HONKing away. With the hole I swallow up all the letters, then everything else on the lawn and finally the HONKing man, who was desperately trying to get away from the hole I was controlling. The hole was getting bigger the more it swallowed things up.

The perspective switched and I was now BK the raccoon at the doughnut shop. I got texts from the girl, saying the honking had stopped. She asked if I had done something to the honking man. I added a few honks of my own and said yeah don't worry about him, saying I delivered him a doughnut. She said ok lol and that it distracted him at least.

Hmmm so it seems BK has control over the hole. That's why their icon was there in the corner while I was controlling it. I said hey guess what, I'm level 9 now. She was like wow, kewl.

The girl's name was Mira. I told her she didn't get it, because at level 10 I was gonna get my quadcopter. She said that was sick and congrats! I said we were gonna buzz around like kings and she laughed, saying she'd see me soon.

The scene shifted to six weeks later.

I'm liking the characters so far :) we're just sitting around texting each other and doing weird things with a hole in the ground. The way all great stories begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment