Thursday 14 May 2020

206 undertale - my theory about rocket and frisk

Dear Readers,

The genocide run is complete and the ending is somewhat unceremonious, mostly because everyone is either dead or wants nothing to do with me. It's also because Rocket and I destroyed the game world.

There isn't anything else to appreciate about the ending so I might as well go back to wondering if Rocket and I are the same person.

After playing this genocide run I have to conclude that Rocket is separate from me. I didn't kill everyone. It was Rocket who dealt the killing blow to the likes of Flowey, Asgore and Sans. Rocket sometimes took control over my movements such as during cutscenes.

Rocket was the name I gave the fallen human. I thought I was naming myself and the game leads you to believe that you are that character, but it always turns out that my character is named Frisk. In the genocide playthrough, Rocket seems to possess or become absorbed by me in some way because of all the violence I inflict on others.

I believe it's Rocket who uses the sinister red font I've encountered on this playthrough. It was at the very end when Rocket spoke to me directly that I knew it wasn't me.

When Rocket died, he got absorbed by Asriel, who later became Flowey. In the pacifist playthrough I thought Rocket was still part of him. However, in the genocide playthrough, Rocket becomes part of me.

I theorise that although Rocket and I are not the same person, we may still be instances of the same person. New instances are possibly created with determination through actions like saving, loading and resetting. As the player I can always create a new instance of Frisk, though that's all I'm granted.

I further theorise that the six human souls are also possibly instances of the same human. They could have planned this when they learned that breaking the barrier would cost seven human souls.

There's also this thing where the bosses turn my soul different colours. Could they each have something to do with the different coloured souls in the basement? I've thought about this but haven't really formulated anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment